Join the Lakeland Writers on September 16 and October 14 @ 6:30 at the Sunshine Bank located at 3350 S. Florida in Lakeland. Be sure to scroll to the bottom for important information about UPCOMING FWA events!
I recently found a contest website called Mashstories.com. I challenge us to write a Mash Story for their next competition. Using the following three words (exactly as listed): TAXES, VINEGAR, CARPENTER. Or, bring up to one thousand words from your current project to share with the group.
From their website:
The next contest entries are due October 14 with the following requirements: you must use the words TAXES, VINEGAR, CARPENTER.
MASH competition aims to spot rock star quality storytellers. We like innovative ideas, but we are not keen on too many rules.
Our competition rules are simple. Every three months, three random objects are selected from a randomly gathered list. Writers are invited to incorporate them into a short, sensible and convincing story.
$100 for the winning story! All shortlisted stories are published on our website, and narrated by professional voice actors and broadcast in MASH podcast.
- Max. 500 words, excluding the title. This is one of only two strict rules. Go over 500 words and you’ll be disqualified.
- The second no-no is missing the deadline. MASH stories runs every quarter, meaning every three months and a total of four times a year. The deadline for the current competition is 15th October 2015, and the winner will be announced on 15th November 2015.
- Any genre is accepted.
- There is no submission fee.
- Stories can only be in English.
- Each quarter, only one submission per person is allowed.
- You can include your name anywhere you like.
- You can choose any font you like. This is a story-telling competition, not a typography contest.
- Submissions are accepted via Submittable. Please visit us on Submittable and attach your story as a Word document there.
Mastering Viewpoint Webinar, September 12, 2015
Florida Writers Conference – Reduced pricing ends September 13, 2015
Adrenaline Rush: How to Write Suspense Fiction, day-long workshop with John Gilstrap, October 15, 2015
Florida Writers Youth Conference, October 17, 2015
Maximize Your Writing Productivity Webinar, November 14, 2015
Multi-Genre Book Signing, May 1, 2016